Victor C. Li
E. Benjamin Wylie Collegiate Professor and James R. Rice Distinguished University Professor
2132 GG Brown
2350 Hayward, 2132 GG Brown Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
- Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- Professor of Macromolecular Science and Engineering
- Director, Center for Low Carbon Built Environment (CLCBE)
- Faculty Affiliate at the Global CO2 Initiative
Advanced Civil Engineering – Materials Research Lab
- Ph.D., Brown University, Providence, RI, 1981
- M.S., Brown University, Providence, RI, 1978
- B.S. (Engineering), Brown University, Providence, RI, 1977
- B.A. (Economics), Brown University, Providence, RI, 1977
My research interest includes the design, processing and characterization of smart fiber reinforced cementitious composites, for resilient and sustainable built environments. My research group engages in interdisciplinary research linking industrial ecology and structural health monitoring with bio-inspired materials design to enhance harmony between the built and the natural environment. We are conducting research in decarbonizing the built environment in general, and in carbon sequestration and 3D printing of Engineered Cementitious Composites in particular.
- Fellow of American Concrete Institute (ACI), the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), IA-FraMCoS and World Innovation Forum (WIF)
- Member, Advanced Materials Council, National Institute of Building Sciences, 2009-present
- Member, Steering Committee of Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, 2009-present
- Chair, RILEM Technical Committee HFC, 2004-2009
- Member, General Council, Int’l Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems, and Structures (RILEM), 2005-present
- Advisor, Concrete Committee, Subcommittee on Design and Construction of HPFRCC, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, 2004-present
- Member, Executive Committee, Michigan Transportation Research Board, 2004-present
- Founding member, Transportation Research Inst. in Michigan (TRIM).
- Member, Editorial Advisory Committee, RILEM J. of Materials and Structures, 2004-present
- Member, Editorial Advisory Board, J. of Adv. Concrete Tech., Japan Concrete Institute, 2001-present
- Member, Scientific Committee of the Cariplo Foundation, Milano, Italy, 2009
- James R. Rice Distinguished University Professorship, 2018
- Nominee, Golden Apple Award, 2017
- RILEM Life-Time Achievement Award, 2016
- CIC International Innovation Grand Prize Award, 2016
- International Innovation Grand Prize Award, 2016
- Rackham Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award, 2015
- Fellow, American Concrete Institute, 2010
- Fellow, IA-FraMCoS, 2010
- Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, 2007
- Fellow, World Innovation Foundation, 2005
- E.B. Wylie Collegiate Chair Professorship, 2005
- Stephen S. Attwood Excellence in Engineering Award, UM Coll. of Engineering. 2004-2005
- Finalist, Frank Annunzio Award for “cutting edge” innovations, Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation, 2005
- Honorary Doctorate, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 2004
- President, IA-FraMCoS, 2001-2004
- Knud Højgaard Chair Visiting Professor, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 1999-2004
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1999
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1998
Keynote / Plenary Speaker
- “3DP with ECC,” 1st International Conference on 3D Printing Concrete Materials and Structures,” Nanjing, May 14-16, 2021.
- “3DP Engineered Cementitious Composites,” Digital Concrete 2020, the 2nd RILEM Int’l Conf. on Concrete and Digital Fabrication, Eindhoven Univ. of Technology, Netherlands, July 2020.
- “3DP with Ductile Concrete,” 2nd Int’l Conf. on 3D Construction Printing (3DcP 2019), Tianjin, China, Oct., 2019.
- “Leak-proof Underground Constructed Facilities via Ductile Concrete,” Innotech Forum on Geotechnology, Hong Kong, May, 2019.
- “Improving Infrastructure Durability with ECC,” 3rd National Workshop on Engineered Cementitious Composites, Hong Kong, Oct., 2018.
- “Smart Concrete for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation,” International Forum on Engineering Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Engineering, Chongqing, China, Oct., 2018.
- “Challenges and Prospects of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” Summer School on Low Clinker High Performance Cement Composites,” India, June, 2018.
- “Smart Materials for Smart Cities,” SHCC-4, Dresden, Germany, Sept., 2017.
- “Multifunctional Engineered Cementitious Composites,” BEFIB 2016, Vancouver, Canada, Sept., 2016.
- “Functionalized ECC for Fire-Safety of Steel Structures,” ECC Workshop, Tsinghua University, Bejing, China, July, 2016.
- “Breakthrough in self-healing damage-tolerant concrete technology for resilient infrastructure,” National Academy of Engineering DMMI Workshop, Washington, D.C., May 2016.
- “Micromechanics as a Design Tool for Ductile Cement Based Composites,” International Symposium on Advanced Materials and Structures, Hong Kong, Jan., 2016.
- “Re-engineering Concrete for Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructures,” Institute of Civil Engineers Hong Kong Association Annual Conference 2015, Hong Kong, April 2015.
- “Sustainable Concrete Materials and Infrastructure,” 1st Int’l Workshop on Self-healing & Intelligent Materials, Seoul, Korea, 2015, March, 2015.
- “Advances in Multi-functional ECC Research,” Univ. of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan, March, 2014.
- “Thermally Adaptive ECC,” World Congress on Advanced Materials, Suzhou, China, June, 2013.
- “History and Design of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” Workshop on Advanced and Sustainable Materials for Infrastructure Renewal, UWM, Wisconsin, 5/2013
- “ECC – Theoretical Background and Recent Advances,” ECC Summit, Beijing, China, 8/2012
- “Sustainable Infrastructure Development with Advanced Concrete Technology,” Nanyang Technological University Workshop, Singapore, 1/2011
- RILEM Conference, Hong Kong, 9/2011
- Int’l Conf. on Future Concrete, Qatar, 2010
- Int’l Conference on Advanced Concrete Materials, Stellenbosch, S. Africa, 2009
- 2nd Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Chicago, 2009
- NRMCA Concrete Tech Forum, Denver, 2008
- Congress 2008 – Concrete: Construction’s Sustainable Option, Dundee, Scotland, 2008
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self Healing Materials, Noordwijk, the Netherlands, 2007
- 10th Int’l Inorganic-Bonded Fiber Composites Conf., Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers TC-334, Tokyo, Japan, 2006
- Int’l Conference on Fracture of Materials: Moving Forwards, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Knud Højgaard Conf. on Advanced Cement-Based Materials, Denmark, 2005
- 6th RILEM Symp. on Fiber Reinforced Concrete (FRC), Varenna, Italy, 2004
- Conf. on Fibre Composites, HPC and Smart Materials, Chennai, India, 2004
- Int’l Workshop on Sustainable Concrete Technology, Beijing, China, 2004
- JCI Japanese Symposium on DFRCC, Japan, 2003
- Fiber Society on Engineering with Fibers, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002
Member, Advisory Board/Scientific Committee of the following Int’l Conferences
- Int’l Conf. on Microdurability, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2020
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Smart Materials for Sustainable Construction, Lulea, Sweden, 2019
- Int’l Conference on Self-Healing Materials (ICSHM 2017), Friedrichshafen, Germany, 2017
- 4th SHCC Int’l Conference, Dresden, Germany, 2017
- 9th RILEM Int’l Sympsoium on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, Vancouver, Canada, 2016
- Istanbul Bridge Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2016
- 3rd Microdurability conference, Southeast University, Nanjing, 2016
- Int’l Conference on Concrete Sustainability (ICCS16), Barcelona, Spain, 2016
- 5th Int’l Workshop on Performance, Protection & Strengthening of Structures under Extreme Loading, MI, 2015
- High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites, HPFRCC 7, Stuttgart, Germany, 2015
- 5th Int’ Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, N Carolina, US, 2015
- 3rd Int’l Conf. on Service Life Design for Infrastructures, Zhuhai, China, 2014
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Advanced Nano Composite for Construction Materials, Kerala, India, 2013
- UHPFRC 2013, Marseille, France, 2013
- 4th Int’l Conf. on Self-healing Materials, Ghent, Belgium, 2013
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Concrete Sustainability, Tokyo, Japan, 2013
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Performance-based and Life-cycle Structural Engineering, Hong Kong, 2012
- Int’l Symp. on LCA and Construction, Nantes, France, 2012
- Int’l Conf. on Microstructure Durability of Cementitious Comp., Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012
- BEFIB Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Guimaraes City, Portugal, 2012
- RILEM Week, Hong Kong, China, 2011
- Int’l Symp. on Cement & Concrete (ISCC), Ji’nan, China, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Service Life Design for Infrastructure, Delft, The Netherlands, 2010
- European Conference of Fracture (ECF 18), Dresden, Germany, 2010
- Fracture Mechanics of Concrete & Concrete Structures (FraMCoS 7), Korea, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Computational Technologies in Concrete Structures (CTCS’09), Korea, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials (ICSHM), Chicago, US, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS 2008), Hangzhou, China, 2008
- Int’l Symp. on Hydration, Microstructure and Durability, Nanjing, China, 2008
- Int’l Conf. on Challenges for Civil Construction, Porto, Portugal, 2008
- 8th Int’l Symp. on Utilization of High Performance Concrete, Tokyo, Japan, 2008
- Symp. on Advances in Construction Materials, Germany, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on HPFRCC, Mainz, Germany, 2007
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on Fracture of Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Int’l Workshop on Durability of Reinforced Concrete, Qingdao, China, 2005
- 11th Int’l Conf. On Fracture (ICF11), Turin, Italy, 2005
- Int’l Conf. on Advances in Concrete & Construction (ICACC-2004), India, 2004
- Int’l Conf. on Concrete under Severe Conditions CONSEC 04 Seoul, Korea, 2004
- 6th RILEM Symposium on Fibre-Reinforced Concrete, Varenna, Italy, 2004
- HPFRCC-4 Int’l Workshop, Ann Arbor, US, 2003
- Int’l Fiber Society Symposium, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002
- H.H. Nguyễn, Quang-Hiếu Lương, J.-I. Choi, R. Ranade, V.C. Li, B.Y. Lee, “Ultra-ductile behavior of fly ash-based engineered geopolymer composites with a tensile strain capacity up to 13.7%.” Cem. Concr. Compos. 122 (2021) 104133.
- P. Guo, W. Meng, M. Xu, V.C. Li, Y. Bao, “Predicting Mechanical Properties of High-Performance Fiber-Reinforced Cementitious Composites by Integrating Micromechanics and Machine Learning.” Materials, (2021).
- B. Huang, K. Weng, J. Zhu, Y. Xiang, J. Dai, V.C. Li, “Engineered / strain-hardening cementitious composites ( ECC / SHCC ) with an ultra-high compressive strength over 210 MPa.” Compos. Commun. 26 (2021) 100775.
- D. Lee, S. Lee, N. Masoud, M.S. Krishnan, V.C. Li. “Integrated digital twin and blockchain framework to support accountable information sharing in construction projects.” Autom. Constr. 127 (2021) 103688.
- Xu, M., Yu, J., Zhou, J., Bao, Y., V. C. Li . “Effect of curing relative humidity on mechanical properties of engineered cementitious composites at multiple scales.” Construction and Building Materials, 284 (2021): 122834.
- Yu K., Mcgee W., Yan T., Zhu H., V.C. Li. “3D-printable engineered cementitious composites ( 3DP-ECC ): Fresh and hardened properties.” Cement and Concrete Research 143 (2021): 106388.
- Ravikumar, D., Zhang, D., Keoleian, G. et al. “Carbon dioxide utilization in concrete curing or mixing might not produce a net climate benefit.” Nat Commun 12, 855 (2021).
- Zhu H., Duo Z., Wang Y., Wang T., V.C. Li. “Development of self-stressing Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC).” Cement and Concrete Composites (2021). V118: 103936.
- Huang, Bo-Tao, V.C. Li et al. “Seawater sea-sand engineered/strain-hardening cementitious composites (ECC/SHCC): Assessment and modeling of crack characteristics.” Cement and Concrete Research 140 (2021): 106292.
- Zhu, H., K. Yu, and V.C. Li, “Sprayable engineered cementitious composites (ECC) using calcined clay limestone cement (LC3) and PP fiber“. Cement and Concrete Composites, 2021. V115: 103868.
- Wu, H., et al., “Mechanical performance of MgO-doped Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC)“. Cement and Concrete Composites, 2021. 115: p. 103857.
- Xu, M., et al., “Development of basalt fiber engineered cementitious composites and its mechanical properties”. Construction and Building Materials, 2021. 266: p. 121173.
- Zhang, D., Jaworska, B., Zhu, H., Dahlquist, K. and V.C. Li, “Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC) with limestone calcined clay cement (LC3)“. Cement and Concrete Composites, 2020:103766.
- H. Zhu, D. Zhang, T. Wang, H. Wu, V.C. Li, “Mechanical and self-healing behavior of low carbon engineered cementitious composites reinforced with PP-fibers“, Constr. Build. Mater. 259 (2020) 119805.
- Zhang S., V.C. Li, Ye G. “Micromechanics-guided Development of a Slag/Fly ash-based Strain-hardening Geopolymer Composite (SHGC).”Cement and Concrete Composites, 2020: 103510.
- V.C. Li, et al. “On the emergence of 3D printable Engineered, Strain Hardening Cementitious Composites (ECC/SHCC)” Cement and Concrete Research, 2020. 132: p.106038.
- Bao, Y. and V.C. Li, “Feasibility study of lego-inspired construction with bendable concrete.” Automation in Construction, 2020. 113: p. 103161.
- Wu, Hao-Liang, et al. “Hydraulic conductivity and self-healing performance of engineered cementitious composites exposed to acid mine drainage.” Science of The Total Environment (2020): 137095.
- Zhang, Duo, et al. “Autogenous healing of Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC) based on MgO-fly ash binary system activated by carbonation curing.” Construction and Building Materials 238 (2020): 117672.
- Pan, Y., et al., “Impact fatigue behaviour of GFRP mesh reinforced engineered cementitious composites for runway pavement.”, Construction and Building Materials, 2020. 230: p. 116898.
- Wu, H., et al., ”Durability of engineered cementitious composite exposed to acid mine drainage.“, Cement and Concrete Composites, 2020. 108: p. 103550.
- Zhang, D., et al., “Discontinuous micro-fibers as intrinsic reinforcement for ductile Engineered Cementitious Composites (ECC)”. Composites Part B: Engineering, 2020. 184: p. 107741.
- Adeoye, J.T., et al., “Novel ductile wellbore cementitious composite for geologic CO2 storage“, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 2020. 94: p. 102896.
- Xu, M., H. Clack, T. Xia, Y. Bao, K. Wu, H. Shi, and V.C. Li, “Effect of TiO2 and Fly Ash on Photocatalytic NOx Abatement of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” J. Building and Environment, 236, 117559, 2020.