All transcripts, diplomas and certificates must be translated, and both the originals and translated copies must be sent to the Rackham Graduate School for PhD and MSE applicants and to the College of Engineering Graduate Professional Programs office for MEng applicants. Please visit Rackham’s website for more information on international transcripts.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and other tests for English proficiency
- Applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate English proficiency. Applicants are required to provide an official score report from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) sent via ETS only (no paper copies accepted), Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB), or International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) (the original IELTS test score report is required to be sent to the Rackham Graduate School only).
- If your native language is not English you must demonstrate English proficiency by taking one of the three exams. You do not need to take all three.
- You qualify for an exemption from taking an English proficiency examination if one of the following criteria are met:
- You are a native speaker of English.
- You completed all of your undergraduate education and earned an undergraduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
- You completed all of your graduate education and earned a graduate degree at an institution where the language of instruction is English only.
- If you completed a Master’s degree that was strictly research and no academic classes, that degree does not meet the exemption. This type of Master’s degree is generally awarded at a non-U.S. institution.
- You are a current U-M student.
- Minimum scores on English language tests
- 84 on the Internet-based TOEFL
- 560 on the Paper-Pencil TOEFL
- 80 on the MELAB
- 6.5 on IELTS
You can find more details on the Rackham Graduate School website.
- You do not need to submit any financial documents at the time of application.
- If you are offered admission, the Rackham School of Graduate Studies will contact you with a request to provide evidence of financial support.
- Do not send these documents to Rackham until you have been asked to submit them. Financial documents submitted at the time of application will not be retained.