Carol Menassa receives Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize

Menassa to be honored with 2022 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize Award recognizing impact of research

Congratulations to Carol Menassa, who was selected by the American Society of Civil Engineer’s (ASCE) Committee on Technical Advancement to receive the 2022 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize. 

This award recognizes Menassa for her “groundbreaking research in civil engineering through integration of civil and human infrastructure systems with demonstrated applications in reducing environmental impacts of buildings throughout their life cycle and improving human health and well-being.” 

Portrait of Carol Menassa

“I have always dreamed of being a civil engineer,” Menassa said. “My career has taken me through several twists and turns from being a practicing engineer to a researcher and educator in civil engineering. I am grateful for all these experiences. I particularly enjoy the research process and the diverse paths to discoveries it affords.  I am humbled and honored to be receiving this award for research contributions.”

ASCE notes that research prizes may be given to members of the Society in any grade for notable achievements in research related to civil engineering. At the time of nomination, nominees must be ASCE members in good standing and either be under 40 years of age or have worked no more than 12 years since receiving their doctoral degree, whichever is less restrictive. Award recipients are selected based on the impact of their research, both on their chosen subdisciplines, as well as on the field of civil engineering more broadly.

Menassa will receive her award at ASCE’s Annual Convention in Anaheim, Calif., October 23-26, 2022.