Arthur F. Thurnau Professor
Arthur F. Thurnau Professor, Mechanical Engineering
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, 2000
- B.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, 1994
Environmental and sustainable technology systems; life cycle product design optimization; pollution prevention technologies for manufacturing; metalworking fluid formulation and performance; membrane filtration; supercritical fluid delivery of lubricants; biological detection and control in aqueous systems; technology policy analysis.
To watch a video of Dr. Skerlos discussing the impact of your lawn on the earth, please visit YouTube.
- Mechanical Engineering Department Achievement Award, 2009.
- Ralph Teetor Award, SAE, 2008.
- Kuo K. Wang Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2007.
- Education Excellence Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2006.
- Outstanding Student Group Advisor for Engineers Without Borders, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2004.
- New Faces of Engineering, National Engineers Week, 2003.
- Gilbert Whitaker Award for the Improvement of Teaching, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, 2003-2004.
- Robert Caddell Memorial Materials & Manufacturing Award (with Fu Zhao), 2002.
- 1938E Class Excellence Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2002-2003.
- Ruth and Joel Spira Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Engineering, University of Michigan, 2002.
- Outstanding Teaching Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2001.
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2000.
- Skerlos, S.J., Morrow, W.R., Michalek, J.J.,2005, Sustainable Design Engineering and Science: Selected Challenges and Case Studies. Sustainability Science and Engineering, M. Abraham Ed., Elsevier, Pg. 477-525.
- Clarens, A.F., Zimmerman, J.B., Keoleian, G.A., Hayes, K.F., Skerlos, S.J., 2008, “Comparison of Life Cycle Emissions and Energy Consumption of Environmentally Adapted Metalworking Fluid Systems”, Environmental Science and Technology, v42, n22, Dec 15, 2008, pp. 8534-8540.
- Zhao, F ., Clarens, A.F., Hayes, K.F., Skerlos, S.J., 2006, “Optimization of Metalworking Fluid Microemulsion Surfactant Concentrations for Microfiltration Recycling”, Environmental Science and Technology, v41, n3, Feb 1, 2007, pp. 1016-1023.
- Zimmerman, J., Clarens, A., Hayes, K., Skerlos, S.J., 2003, “Design of Hardwater Stable Emulsifier Systems for Petroleum- and Bio-Based Semi-Synthetic Metalworking Fluids”, Environmental Science and Technology, Vol. 37, No. 23, pp. 5278-5288.
- Michalek, J., Papalambros, P.Y., Skerlos, S.J., 2005, “A Methodology for Studying the Effects of Emissions Policies on Optimal Vehicle Design Decisions”, Journal of Mechanical Design: Transactions of ASME, Vol. 126, pp. 1062-1070.