- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1972
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1970
- Specialty (M.S.) in Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete, Centre des Hautes Etudes de la Construction, CHEC, Paris, France, 1965
- Diploma in Engineering (B.Eng.), Ecole Centrale des Arts et Manufactures, Paris, France, 1964
For over 30 years, my main research efforts have focused on the following particular fields of civil engineering: prestressed and partially prestressed concrete, high performance fiber (discontinuous) reinforced cement based composites, ferrocement (continuous reinforcements) and thin laminated cementitious composites, hybrid composites, integration-tailoring of advanced materials in structural applications, material optimization for structural performance and structural design. In less traditional areas, I have been also working in the special field of external prestressing and fiber reinforced polymeric (FRP) reinforcements and their applications to new construction as well as to repair-rehabilitation-strengthening of existing structures. More recently, I have looked into developing special fibers for use in concrete with the particular characteristic of providing a slip-hardening bond behavior under pull-out for high energy absorption applications; such fibers are key to the practical implementation of high performance fiber reinforced cement composites in structural applications. My research often includes the integration of advanced materials in special structural applications or concepts.
- Fellow – American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Fellow – American Concrete Institute (ACI).
- Fellow – Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI). Member, International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE).
- Fellow – International Ferrocement Society (IFS) (Charter and founding member).
- Member of several technical committees of ACI, PCI, ASCE, and IFS. Associate Editor Journal of Cement and Concrete Composites, (1992 to date).
- PCI, Martin P. Korn Award, 1979.
- ASCE, T.Y. Lin Award, 1980.
- PCI, Martin P. Korn Award, 1986.
- UM, Research Excellence Award, 1987.
- Alexander von Humbolt Award, Germany, 1989-92.
- ASCE, T.Y. Lin Award, 1993.
- UM – CEE Teaching Award, 1997.
- President International Ferrocement Society (1998-2001).
- Fellowship from the Hwa Ying Foundation for Culture and Education, P.R. China, 2000.
- URB Scholar, American University of Beirut, May 2004.
- Alexander von Humboldt, re-invitation program, July 2004 and May-June 2005.
- Naaman A.E. (2004), “Prestressed Concrete Analysis and Design – Fundamentals,” 2nd Edition, 2004, Techno Press 3000(www.technopress3000.com), Ann Arbor, Michigan, ISBN 0-9674939-1-9, 1072 pages.
- Naaman A.E. (2000), , “Ferrocement and Laminated Cementitious Composites,” Techno Press 3000(www.technopress3000.com), Ann Arbor, Michigan, ISBN 0-9674030-0-0, 372 pages.
- Naaman A.E. and Reinhardt H.W., (2003), “High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites – HPFRCC 4,” RILEM Proc., PRO 30, RILEM Pbs., S.A.R.L., Cachan, France; June 2003; 546 pages.
- Naaman, A.E. (2003), “Engineered Steel Fibers with Optimal Properties for Reinforcement of Cement Composites,” Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 1, No. 3, November 2003, pp. 241-252.
- Naaman, A.E. (2004), “Limits of Reinforcement in the 2002 ACI Code: Transition, Flaws, Solution,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 101, No. 2, March-April, 2004, pp. 209-218.