- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1972
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1970
- Specialty (M.S.) in Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete, Centre des Hautes Etudes de la Construction, CHEC, Paris, France, 1965
- Diploma in Engineering (B.Eng.), Ecole Centrale des Arts et Manufactures, Paris, France, 1964
For over 50 years, my main research efforts have focused on the following particular fields of civil engineering: prestressed and partially prestressed concrete, high performance fiber (discontinuous) reinforced cement based composites, ferrocement (continuous reinforcements) and thin laminated cementitious composites, hybrid composites, integration-tailoring of advanced materials in structural applications, material optimization for structural performance and structural design. In less traditional areas, I have worked in the special fields of external pre-stressing and fiber reinforced polymeric (FRP) reinforcements and their applications to new construction as well as to repair-rehabilitation-strengthening of existing structures. Patent-wise, I have developed special twisted steel fibers for use in concrete with the particular characteristic of providing a slip-hardening bond behavior under pull-out for high energy absorption applications. Lately, I have worked with colleagues on developing Ultra-High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement composites (UHPC, UHP-FRC) for practical implementation in structural applications.
- Honorary Member and Fellow – American Concrete Institute (ACI).
- Fellow – American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Fellow – American Concrete Institute (ACI).
- Fellow – Prestressed Concrete Institute (PCI). Member, International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering (IABSE).
- Fellow – International Ferrocement Society (IFS) (Charter and founding member).
- Member of several technical committees of ACI, PCI, ASCE, and IFS. Associate Editor Journal of Cement and Concrete Composites, (1992 to date).
- PCI, Martin P. Korn Award, 1979.
- ASCE, T.Y. Lin Award, 1980.
- PCI, Martin P. Korn Award, 1986.
- UM, Research Excellence Award, 1987.
- Alexander von Humbolt Award, Germany, 1989-92.
- ASCE, T.Y. Lin Award, 1993.
- UM – CEE Teaching Award, 1997.
- President International Ferrocement Society (1998-2001).
- Fellowship from the Hwa Ying Foundation for Culture and Education, P.R. China, 2000.
- URB Scholar, American University of Beirut, May 2004.
- Alexander von Humboldt, re-invitation program, July 2004 and May-June 2005.
- Best paper Award from the Japan Concrete Institute, 2004.
- URB Scholar, American University of Beirut, May 2004.
- Alexander von Humboldt, Germany, re-invitation program, July 2004 and May-June 2005.
- KCI (Korean Concrete Institute) paper of the year Award, 2010 (paper in Dec. 2009).
- ACI Chester P. Siess Award for Excellence in Structural Research (2011).
- PCI Distinguished Educator Award, 2011.
- CTE – Italy: Grandi Personalita dell Ingegneria award, Nov. 2012.
- ACI – Honorary Member, March 2013.
- Naaman A.E. and Chao, S.H., (2022), “Prestressed Concrete Analysis and Design – Fundamentals,” 4th Edition, 2022, Techno Press 3000, Sarasota, Florida, ISBN 978-0-96774939-5-4, 1440 pages (www.technopress3000.com).
- Naaman, A.E., (2018) “Fiber Reinforced Cement and Concrete Composites,” Techno Press 3000, Sarasota, Florida, ISBN 978-0-9674930-3-0, 2018, 765 pages. (www.technopress3000.com).
- Naaman, A.E., and Shah, S.P., “Strain Capacity of Strain-Hardening Ultra-High Performance Concrete with Steel Fibers,” ACI Materials Journal, Title 119-M38, Vol. 119, No. 2, March 2022, pp. 171-180.
- Maha Alqam, Fadi Alkhairi & Antoine Naaman, “Stress at Ultimate in Prestressed Unbonded Tendons: Assessment of Code Equations and Recommendation,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 118, No. 5, September 2021, pp. 177-187.
- Rodriguez, Conrado S., Savio Nunes Bonifacio, Denise Monteiro, Antoine E. Naaman, and Hugo Wainshtok Rivas, (2018), Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Ferrocement and Thin Cement Composites – Ferro 12, Sociedade Brasiliera de Ferrocemento, Belo Horizonte, Brazil, 2018, 351 pages
- Naaman, A.E., “Thin TRC Products: Status, Outlook, and Future Directions,” Chapter 18 (pp. 413-439) in “Textile Fiber Composites in Civil Engineering,” Edited by Thanasis C. Triantafillou, Woodhead Publishing Series in Civil and Structural Engineering, No. 60, an imprint of Elsevier, UK, ISBN: 978-1-78242-446-8, 2016, 452 pages.
- G. Parra-Montesinos, H.W. Reinhardt and A.E. Naaman, Co-Editors, (2011) “High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites 6 – HPFRCC 6,” RILEM Bookseries, Springer, Germany, ISBN: 978-94-007-2435-8. 2011, 559 pages.
- Naaman A.E. (2000), “Ferrocement and Laminated Cementitious Composites,” Techno Press 3000, Sarasota, Florida, ISBN 0-9674030-0-0, 372 pages. (www.technopress3000.com).
- Naaman A.E. (2004), “Prestressed Concrete Analysis and Design – Fundamentals,” 2nd Edition, 2004, Techno Press 3000(www.technopress3000.com), Ann Arbor, Michigan, ISBN 0-9674939-1-9, 1072 pages.
- Naaman A.E. (2000), , “Ferrocement and Laminated Cementitious Composites,” Techno Press 3000(www.technopress3000.com), Ann Arbor, Michigan, ISBN 0-9674030-0-0, 372 pages.
- Naaman A.E. and Reinhardt H.W., (2003), “High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites – HPFRCC 4,” RILEM Proc., PRO 30, RILEM Pbs., S.A.R.L., Cachan, France; June 2003; 546 pages.
- Naaman, A.E. (2003), “Engineered Steel Fibers with Optimal Properties for Reinforcement of Cement Composites,” Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 1, No. 3, November 2003, pp. 241-252.
- Naaman, A.E. (2004), “Limits of Reinforcement in the 2002 ACI Code: Transition, Flaws, Solution,” ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 101, No. 2, March-April, 2004, pp. 209-218.