- Ph.D., Institute of Fundamental Technological Research (Polish Academy of Sciences), Warsaw, and Tech. Univ. Poznan (Poland), 1980
- M.S., Technical University of Poznan, 1974
Geomechanics, Flow of Granular Media, Micromechanics of Sand and Constitutive Modeling, Engineering Plasticity and Limit Analysis, Stability of Earth Structures, Buried Lifelines, Reinforced Soil, Freeze-Thaw Cycle in Soils.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Fellow (1988 – )
- American Academy of Mechanics (1988 – )
- Anatole S. and Pamela S. Dekaban Fund, Director and Coordinator
- ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering Editor (1997 – 2004), Editorial Board Member (1990 – 1997)
- ASCE Embankments, Dams and Slopes Committee (1994 -)
- ASCE Geotechnics of Soil Erosion (2003 -)
- Computers and Geotechnics, Editorial Board Member (1998 – 2017)
- Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, Elsevier, Editorial Board Member (2014 – )
- Geomechanics and Engineering, Editorial Board Member (2008 – 2016)
- Geotextiles and Geomembranes, Editorial Board Member (2008 – )
- International Association for Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (1983 – )
- International Geosynthetics Society (1992 – )
- International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Advisory Board (2004 – )
- Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica, Editorial Board Member, De Gruyter (2015 – present)
- Archives of Civil Engineering, De Gruyter, Editorial Board Member, (2015-present)
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (1989 – )
- Technical Advisory Committee Member for the International Centre for Computational Engineering, Rhodos, Greece (2007 – )
- The J. S. Braun/Braun Intertec Professorship in Science and Technology, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, Fall 2015 (also Fall 2008)
- Kersten Lecturer, Minnesota Geotechnical Society and University of Minnesota, 2014
- MTS Visiting Professor of Geomechanics, University of Minnesota, Sept./Oct. 2012 (also 2006)
- Tribute Award (American Polish Engineering Association), 2010
- The life title of Professor awarded by the President of Poland, 2009
- Monroe-Brown Foundation Education Excellence Award, UM College of Engineering, 2005
- Teacher of the Year Award, UM Student Chapter of ASCE, 2004
- James M. Robbins Excellence in Teaching Award, Great Lakes District, Chi Epsilon, 2003
- ASCE Faculty Advisor Award (National), 2001, 2002
- Elected Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2001
- Chi Epsilon, Faculty Member, 2001
- Fulbright Fellow, 1981 – 1984
- Park, D. and Michalowski, R.L. (2018). “Intricacies in three-dimensional limit analysis of earth slopes.” Int. J. Num. Analyt. Meth. Geomech., 42, 1- 21 (https://doi.org/10.1002/nag.2846).
- Wang, Z. and Michalowski, R.L. (2018). “An apparatus for testing static fatigue at sand grain contacts.” Geotechnical Testing Journal, 41, No. 3, 448-458 (https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ20170251).
- Michalowski, R.L., Wang, Z. and Nadukuru, S.S. (2018). “Maturing of contacts and ageing of silica sand.” Géotechnique, 68, No. 2, 132-145 (http://doi.org/10.1680/jgeot.16.P.321).
- Michalowski, R.L., Wojtasik, A., Duda, A., Florkiewicz, A. and Park, D. (2018). “Failure and remedy of column-supported embankment: Case study.” Journal of Geotech. Geoenv. Engineering, 144, No. 3, 1-14 (https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001839).
- Park, D. and Michalowski, R.L. (2017). “Three-dimensional stability analysis of slopes in hard soil/soft rock with tensile strength cut-off.” Engineering Geology, 229, 73-84 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2017.09.018).