2052 GG Brown
2350 Hayward, 2052 GG Brown Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
- Ph.D., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 2009
- M.S., Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 2005
- B.S., University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2004
Analysis of structures subjected to extreme load events, especially fire; various topics in fire safety engineering (e.g., structural fire engineering, smart firefighting, wildland-urban interface fires); advanced finite element methods, including isogeometric analysis; multiphysics simulation, especially coupled fire-structure interaction. Also interested in various topics within engineering education.
To watch a video of Dr. Jeffers discussing how structures ignite, and what we can do about it, please visit YouTube.
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Fire Safety Journal, 2016-2018
- Member, Editorial Board, Fire Technology, 2013-Present
- Member, SFPE Standards Making Committee on Predicting the Thermal Performance of Fire Resistive Assemblies, 2011 – 2015
- Member (Control Group), ASCE Fire Protection Committee, SEI Technical Activities Div., 2010 – 2016, Guest Member 2016-2018, and contributing author to ASCE Manual of Practice 138
- University of Michigan College of Engineering John F. Ullrich Education Excellence Award, 2019
- Chi Epsilon Great Lakes District Teaching Award, 2015
- SFPE Rolf H. Jensen Award for Outstanding Committee Service, 2014
- ASCE ExCEEd New Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, 2014
- Harry C. Bigglestone Award for the Most Outstanding Paper in Fire Technology, 2013
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 2013
- Liu, N., and Jeffers, A.E. (2019). “Feature-preserving rational Bézier triangles for isogeometric analysis of higher-order gradient damage models,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 357, 112585.
- Beata, P., Jeffers, A.E., and Kamat, V.K.R. (2018). “Real-Time Fire Monitoring and Visualization for the Post-Ignition Fire State in a Building,” Fire Technology, 54, 995-1027.
- Jeffers, A.E., Beata, P.A., and Strassmann, B.I. (2015). “Qualitative Assessment of the Learning Outcomes of an International Service Learning Project in Civil Engineering,” International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship, 10, 38-58.
- Jeffers, A.E. (2013). “Heat Transfer Element for Modeling the Thermal Response of Non-Uniformly Heated Plates,” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 63, 62-68.
- Guo, Q., Shi, K., Jia, Z., and Jeffers, A.E. (2013). “Probabilistic Evaluation of Structural Fire Resistance,” Special Issue: World Trade Center, Fire Technology, 49, 793-811.