2136 GG Brown
2350 Hayward, 2136 GG Brown Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
- Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Illinois (UIUC), Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1983
- M.S. Civil Engineering, Denmark Technical University, 1977
- Mechanistic Studies of Cementitious Materials
- High Performance Concrete for Long-Term Frost Durability
- Curling-warping modeling of pavements
- Creep and shrinkage modeling
- Director of MDOT’s Center of Excellence on Concrete Pavement Performance
- Member, ACI Committees, 209 (Creep and Shrinkage), 224 (Cracking), 231 (Early-Age Properties)
- Former Chair of ACI 231 Committee on Early-Age Properties 2007-2012
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Delmar L. Bloem Distinguished Service Award. (2012)
- COE Excellence in Service Award (2012/13)
- ACI Fellow (2006-)
- ASCE-CEE Teacher of the Year (2006/2007 & 1996/97)
- CEE Department Research Award (1995/96)
Dr. Hansen has over 150 published journal papers, conference proceedings, and technical reports in his field of expertise. Selected publications:
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen, “Aggregate and slag cement effects on autogenous shrinkage in cementitious materials”, Journal, Construction and Building Materials, 121 (2016), pp 475-484.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen, “Effect of hydrophobic surface treatment on freeze-thaw durability of concrete”, Journal, Cement and Concrete Composites, 69 (2016), pp.49-60.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. Moisture uptake in concrete under freezing-thawing exposure. Magazine of Concrete Research, 2015.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. Freeze-thaw durability of high strength concrete under deicer salt exposure. Construction and Building Materials, 2015, 102: 478-485.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen, Bo Meng. Characterization of air-void system in concrete. Magazine of Concrete Research, 2015.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. Pore damage in cementitious binders caused by deicer salt frost exposure. Construction and Building Materials, 2015; 98: 204-216.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. Freezing characteristics of air-entrained concrete in the presence of deicing salt. Cement and Concrete Research, 2015; 74: 10-18.
- Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. A hypothesis for salt frost scaling in cementitious materials. Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 2015; 13: 403-414.
- Will Hansen, Zhichao Liu, Eddy Koenders. Internal viscoelastic modulus associated with autogenous shrinkage in cementitious materials. Journal of Advanced Concrete Technology, 2014; 12: 496-502.
- Mo Alkaysi, Sherif El-Tawil, Zhichao Liu, Will Hansen. Effects of silica powder and cement type on long term durability of ultra high performance concrete (UHPC). Cement & Concrete Composite, 2015, 66: 47-56.
- Wei, Y., Hansen, W., “Characterization of Moisture Transport and Its Effect on 1 Deformations in Jointed Concrete Pavement”, Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1809, TRB, National Research Council, Washington, DC, No. 2240, pp. 9-15, 2011.
- Hansen, W., Wei, Y., and Schlangen, E, “Moisture Warping in Jointed Plain Concrete Pavements”, 9th International Conference, International Society of Concrete Pavements (ISCP), August 20-24, pp.258-267, 2008.
- Will Hansen and Ya Wei, “PCC Pavement Acceptance Criteria for new Construction when Built-in Curling Exists”, www.michigan.gov/mdotresearch, RC-1481, 2008, 53 pp.
- Wei, Y, Hansen, W. “Early-age Strain-stress Relationship and Cracking Behavior of Slag Cement Mixtures subject to Constant Uniaxial Restraint”. Construction and Building Materials. 49(2013): 635-642. [PDF]
- Wei, Y, Hansen, W. “Characterizing Cracking Potential of Cementitious Mixtures Based on Shrinkage and Humidity Drop Rate”. ACI Materials Journal. 110(2013): 433-440. [PDF]
- Wei, Y, Hansen, W. “Tensile Creep Behavior of Concrete Subject to Constant Restraint at Very Early Ages”, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 2013, 25(9): 1277-1284. [PDF]
- Wei, Y, Hansen, W. Biernacki, JJ, Schlangen, E. “Unified Shrinkage Model for Concrete from Autogenous Shrinkage Test on Paste with and without Ground-Granulated Blast-Furnace Slag”. ACI Materials Journal. 108(2011): 13-20. [PDF]
- Wei, Y, Hansen, W. “Characterization of Moisture Transport and Its Effect on Deformations in Jointed Plain Concrete Pavement”. Transportation Research Board. 2240(2011): 9-15.
- Ivindra Pane, Will Hansen. “Investigation of blended cement hydration by isothermal calorimetry and thermal analysis”. Cement and Concrete Research. 35(2005): 1155 – 1164. [PDF]
- Ivindra Pane, Will Hansen. “Predictions and verifications of early-age stress development in hydrating blended cement concrete”. Cement and Concrete Research. 38(2008): 1315-1324. [PDF]
- Ivindra Pane, Will Hansen. “Investigation on key properties controlling early-age stress development of blended cement concrete”. Cement and Concrete Research. 38(2008): 1325-1335. [PDF]
- Will Hansen. “Constitutive Model for Predicting Ultimate Drying Shrinkage of Concrete”. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 70(1987): 329-332. [PDF]
- Will Hansen. “Drying Shrinkage Mechanisms in Portland Cement Paste”. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 70(1987): 323-328.