- Ph.D., University of Michigan, USA, 1968
- M.E., University of Roorkee, India, 1961
- B.E., University of Roorkee, India, 1958
My research activities have involved analytical and experimental studies of seismic behavior of steel and composite Steel-RC or masonry structures with the objectives to develop rational analytical models for use in analysis and design, as well as to formulate improved methods for earthquake resistant design of safer and more economical structures for new construction as well as upgrading of existing structures. I have been very interested in developing innovative structural elements and systems for improved performance and economy, by using conventional as well as advanced composite materials. Examples include: Special Truss Moment Frames, and FRC-Encased Steel Joist Frames. In recent years, I have been working on development of a new Performance-Based methodology for seismic design of structures which is based on energy and plastic design concepts. I have also been active in putting research results into codes and practice by working with various code committees and leading practitioners.
- Life Member of ASCE
- Life Member of Structural Stability Research Council (SSRC)
- Member of several committees of American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC)
- Member of the Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES).
- Goel, S.C. (2004), “US-Japan Cooperative Earthquake Engineering Research Program on Composite and Hybrid Structures,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 130, No. 2, pp. 157-158.
- Lee, Soon-Sik, and Goel, S.C. (2001), “Performance-Based Design of Steel Moment Frames Using Target Drift and Yield Mechanism”, Research Report No. UMCEE 01-17, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, December.
- Lee, D-Y, and Goel, S. C. (2001), “Seismic Behavior of Column-Base Plate Connections Bending About Weak Axis”, Research Report No. UMCEE 01-09, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, June.
- Choi, J., Stojadinovic, B., and Goel, S. C. (2000), “Development of Free Flange Moment Connections”, Research Report No. UMCEE 00-15, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, June.
- Leelataviwat, S., Goel, S. C., and Stojadinovic, B. (1998), “Drift and Yield Mechanism Based Seismic Design and Upgrading of Steel Moment Frames”, Research Report No. UMCEE 98-29, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, August.