1351 Beal Avenue, 175 EWRE Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
- Professor of Environmental Engineering, Finance and Entrepreneurship; Ross School of Business; School for Environment and Sustainability
- Director, Center for Smart Infrastructure Finance
- Program Director, Master of Engineering in Smart Infrastructure Finance
He directs the Center and Master of Engineering program in Smart Infrastructure Finance, focused on efficient financing mechanisms for public and private infrastructure systems. The Center is a cofounder of the University’s FinTech Collaboratory with the FinTech Initiative in the Ross School of Business and the Center on Finance, Law and Policy in the Ford School for Public Policy.
He was President of the Association of Environmental Science and Engineering Professors (AEESP), is a member of the American Academy of Environmental Engineering, and of the Belgian Royal Academy of Applied Sciences and the Arts. Previously, he was Distinguished Professor of Entrepreneurship at Sichuan University (China) and at the Research Institute of the Finnish Economy (ETLA, Finland) focused on investment and financing models for green economic transitioning. He serves as investment advisor to the Great Lakes Impact Investment Platform under auspices of the Council of Great Lakes Governors.
He is co-founder of Equarius Risk Analytics, a financial technology startup focused on asset risk pricing and corporate risk management from water risk exposure.
- Ph.D., University of California, Riverside, CA, 1989
- M.S., Ghent University, Belgium, 1986
- B.Sc.(Eng.), Ghent University, Belgium, 1984
- Data driven financing models for smart infrastructure systems (transportation, water, energy, waste, broadband)
- Blockchain tokenization of infrastructure and natural assets
- Financial network modeling of industry networks
- Environmental and sustainability finance
- Impact of ESG (Environmental, Social and Governance) metrics on municipal and corporate bonds
- Integration of water risk in share price performance and financial indexes
- Mogosanu, I., C. Jiang, C. Liao, T. Slawecki and P. Adriaens. 2021. Capital Markets Risk Signaling: Linking Financial Asset Risk Pricing to Water Risk Exposures. J. Applied Corporate Finance, Submitted.
- Adriaens, P., A. Tahvanainen, and M. Dixon. 2021. Smart Infrastructure Finance: Investment in Data-Driven Industry Ecosystems. In Wendt (Ed), The Routledge Handbook for Green and Social Economy Finance. Taylor and Francis, Oxfordshire, UK.
- Tian, Y., P. Adriaens, R.E. Minchin, Z. Lu and C. Qi (2021). Asset Tokenization: A Blockchain Solution to Financing Infrastructure in Emerging Markets and Developing Economies. Research Paper, Asia Development Bank. Accepted for Publication.
- Sugrue D., and P. Adriaens. 2021. Measuring Waterway Efficiency in a Dynamic Environment: A Simulation Approach. Transportation Research E. Accepted for Publication.
- Adriaens, P. and N. Ajami. 2021. Infrastructure and the Digital Economy: Impacts of Data on our Role in the Design, Financing, and Governance of Essential Services for Society. J. Env Eng, In Press
- Tian, Y., Z. Lu, P. Adriaens, R. E. Minchin, Y. Zhang, A. Caithness, and J. Woo. 2020. Financing Infrastructure Through Blockchain-Based Tokenization. Frontiers of Engineering Management 7 (4), 485-499
- Sugrue, D., A. Martin and P. Adriaens. 2020. Financial Network Analysis to Value Water Resource Risk Exposure of the Great Lakes Steel Industry. J. Infrastructure Systems 27 (1), 05020010.
- Mogosanu, I., D. Li and P. Adriaens. 2019. Capital Markets Risk Signaling: Linking Financial Asset Risk Pricing to Water Risk Exposures. 17th Finance, Risk and Accounting Perspectives Conference, 23.- 25. September 2019, Helsinki, Finland.
- Cai, H. X. Wang, P. Adriaens, and M. Xu. 2019. Environmental benefits of taxi ride sharing in Beijing. Energy 174, pp. 503-508.
- Adriaens, P. and A. Tahvanainen. 2016. Financial Technology for Industrial Renewal. ETLA Press, Helsinki, Finland. Available at https://www.etla.fi/en/publications/financial-technology-for-industrial-renewal/