The following set of objectives is consistent with ABET accreditation criteria and describes what our graduates are expected to achieve within several years of graduation:
- The graduates of the Civil Engineering Program at Michigan will have the necessary intellectual tools and technical skills to take on careers of leadership in the development of new technologies, construction of innovative and sustainable infrastructure, the design of engineered systems at the intersection of natural and built environments, and to contribute to society through participation in policy making and governance.
- Graduates will have a solid foundation in civil engineering and will achieve success in graduate education and a broad range of career opportunities.
- Our graduates will become team leaders, and will successfully address open-ended problems applying critical thinking.
- The U-M Civil Engineering graduates will become effective communicators of technical and professional information in written, oral, visual and graphical form.
- Professional careers of U-M graduates will be distinguished with a high degree of awareness of moral, ethical, legal and professional obligations to protect human health, human welfare, and the environment.