James R. Rice Distinguished University Professorship, 2018
Nominee, Golden Apple Award, 2017
RILEM Life-Time Achievement Award, 2016
CIC International Innovation Grand Prize Award, 2016
International Innovation Grand Prize Award, 2016
Rackham Distinguished Graduate Mentor Award, 2015
Fellow, American Concrete Institute, 2010
Fellow, IA-FraMCoS, 2010
Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, 2007
Fellow, World Innovation Foundation, 2005
E.B. Wylie Collegiate Chair Professorship, 2005
Stephen S. Attwood Excellence in Engineering Award, UM Coll. of Engineering. 2004-2005
Finalist, Frank Annunzio Award for “cutting edge” innovations, Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation, 2005
Honorary Doctorate, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 2004
President, IA-FraMCoS, 2001-2004
Knud Højgaard Chair Visiting Professor, Tech. Univ. of Denmark, Denmark, 1999-2004
Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 1999
Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1998
- “Improving Infrastructure Durability with ECC,” 3rd National Workshop on Engineered Cementitious Composites, Hong Kong, Oct., 2018.
- “Smart Concrete for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation,” International Forum on Engineering Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Engineering, Chongqing, China, Oct., 2018.
- “Challenges and Prospects of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” Summer School on Low Clinker High Performance Cement Composites,” India, June, 2018.
- “Smart Materials for Smart Cities,” SHCC-4, Dresden, Germany, Sept., 2017.
- “Multifunctional Engineered Cementitious Composites,” BEFIB 2016, Vancouver, Canada, Sept., 2016.
- “Functionalized ECC for Fire-Safety of Steel Structures,” ECC Workshop, Tsinghua University, Bejing, China, July, 2016.
- “Breakthrough in self-healing damage-tolerant concrete technology for resilient infrastructure,” National Academy of Engineering DMMI Workshop, Washington, D.C., May 2016.
- “Micromechanics as a Design Tool for Ductile Cement Based Composites,” International Symposium on Advanced Materials and Structures, Hong Kong, Jan., 2016.
- “Re-engineering Concrete for Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructures,” Institute of Civil Engineers Hong Kong Association Annual Conference 2015, Hong Kong, April 2015.
- “Sustainable Concrete Materials and Infrastructure,” 1st Int’l Workshop on Self-healing & Intelligent Materials, Seoul, Korea, 2015, March, 2015.
- “Advances in Multi-functional ECC Research,” Univ. of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan, March, 2014.
- “Thermally Adaptive ECC,” World Congress on Advanced Materials, Suzhou, China, June, 2013.
- “History and Design of Engineered Cementitious Composites,” Workshop on Advanced and Sustainable Materials for Infrastructure Renewal, UWM, Wisconsin, 5/2013
- “ECC – Theoretical Background and Recent Advances,” ECC Summit, Beijing, China, 8/2012
- “Sustainable Infrastructure Development with Advanced Concrete Technology,” Nanyang Technological University Workshop, Singapore, 1/2011
- RILEM Conference, Hong Kong, 9/2011
- Int’l Conf. on Future Concrete, Qatar, 2010
- Int’l Conference on Advanced Concrete Materials, Stellenbosch, S. Africa, 2009
- 2nd Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Chicago, 2009
- NRMCA Concrete Tech Forum, Denver, 2008
- Congress 2008 – Concrete: Construction’s Sustainable Option, Dundee, Scotland, 2008
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self Healing Materials, Noordwijk, the Netherlands, 2007
- 10th Int’l Inorganic-Bonded Fiber Composites Conf., Sao Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- Japan Society of Civil Engineers TC-334, Tokyo, Japan, 2006
- Int’l Conference on Fracture of Materials: Moving Forwards, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Knud Højgaard Conf. on Advanced Cement-Based Materials, Denmark, 2005
- 6th RILEM Symp. on Fiber Reinforced Concrete (FRC), Varenna, Italy, 2004
- Conf. on Fibre Composites, HPC and Smart Materials, Chennai, India, 2004
- Int’l Workshop on Sustainable Concrete Technology, Beijing, China, 2004
- JCI Japanese Symposium on DFRCC, Japan, 2003
- Fiber Society on Engineering with Fibers, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002
Member, Advisory Board/Scientific Committee of the following Int’l Conferences:
- Int’l Conference on Self-Healing Materials (ICSHM 2017), Friedrichshafen, Germany, 2017
- 4th SHCC Int’l Conference, Dresden, Germany, 2017
- 9th RILEM Int’l Sympsoium on Fiber Reinforced Concrete, Vancouver, Canada, 2016
- Istanbul Bridge Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 2016
- 3rd Microdurability conference, Southeast University, Nanjing, 2016
- Int’l Conference on Concrete Sustainability (ICCS16), Barcelona, Spain, 2016
- 5th Int’l Workshop on Performance, Protection & Strengthening of Structures under Extreme Loading, MI, 2015
- High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cement Composites, HPFRCC 7, Stuttgart, Germany, 2015
- 5th Int’ Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, N Carolina, US, 2015
- 3rd Int’l Conf. on Service Life Design for Infrastructures, Zhuhai, China, 2014
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Advanced Nano Composite for Construction Materials, Kerala, India, 2013
- UHPFRC 2013, Marseille, France, 2013
- 4th Int’l Conf. on Self-healing Materials, Ghent, Belgium, 2013
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Concrete Sustainability, Tokyo, Japan, 2013
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Performance-based and Life-cycle Structural Engineering, Hong Kong, 2012
- Int’l Symp. on LCA and Construction, Nantes, France, 2012
- Int’l Conf. on Microstructure Durability of Cementitious Comp., Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2012
- BEFIB Fibre Reinforced Concrete, Guimaraes City, Portugal, 2012
- RILEM Week, Hong Kong, China, 2011
- Int’l Symp. on Cement & Concrete (ISCC), Ji’nan, China, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Service Life Design for Infrastructure, Delft, The Netherlands, 2010
- European Conference of Fracture (ECF 18), Dresden, Germany, 2010
- Fracture Mechanics of Concrete & Concrete Structures (FraMCoS 7), Korea, 2010
- Int’l Conf. on Computational Technologies in Concrete Structures (CTCS’09), Korea, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials (ICSHM), Chicago, US, 2009
- Int’l Conf. on Durability of Concrete Structures (ICDCS 2008), Hangzhou, China, 2008
- Int’l Symp. on Hydration, Microstructure and Durability, Nanjing, China, 2008
- Int’l Conf. on Challenges for Civil Construction, Porto, Portugal, 2008
- 8th Int’l Symp. on Utilization of High Performance Concrete, Tokyo, Japan, 2008
- Symp. on Advances in Construction Materials, Germany, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on HPFRCC, Mainz, Germany, 2007
- 1st Int’l Conf. on Self-Healing Materials, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 2007
- Int’l Workshop on Fracture of Materials, Sydney, Australia, 2006
- Int’l Workshop on Durability of Reinforced Concrete, Qingdao, China, 2005
- 11th Int’l Conf. On Fracture (ICF11), Turin, Italy, 2005
- Int’l Conf. on Advances in Concrete & Construction (ICACC-2004), India, 2004
- Int’l Conf. on Concrete under Severe Conditions CONSEC 04 Seoul, Korea, 2004
- 6th RILEM Symposium on Fibre-Reinforced Concrete, Varenna, Italy, 2004
- HPFRCC-4 Int’l Workshop, Ann Arbor, US, 2003
- Int’l Fiber Society Symposium, Loughborough, UK, 2003
- Japan Concrete Institute Workshop on DFRCC, Takayama, Japan, 2002