- Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 1977
- M.S., University of California, Davis, 1974
- B.S., Aristotle University, Greece, 1972
Research Interests: ^top
My research aims at developing analytical and computational methods in geophysical and environmental fluid mechanics. Specifically, I am interested in the hydrodynamics and mass transport of surface water systems and their interface with subsurface and atmospheric processes. Applications vary from micro to basin-scale hydrology, including techniques for nesting multiple-scale models. I am also interested in the adaptive control of flow and mass transport to mitigate natural and man-made hazards.
- Chair, Fluids Committee, Engineering Mechanics Division, ASCE (2004-Date).
- Associate Editor, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, (2004-Date).
- Associate Editor, Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, (1982-1996).
- Co-Editor, HYDROSOFT, Software for Hydrodynamics and Hydraulics (1987-1992).
- Chair, Awards Committee, Hydraulics Division, ASCE (1990-1993).
- Chair, Task Committee on Education in Computational Hydraulics, ASCE (1991- 1994).
- Consultant to the Disaster Prevention Agency of Korea (1999).
- Consultant to the Storm and Flood Laboratory, Japan (1986).
- Consultant to the Egyptian Ministry of Irrigation (1983).
- Consultant to the National Institute of Hydraulics (INCYTH), Argentina (1981).
- James A. Robbins Award, Chi-Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society, 2001.
- Best Research Paper Award, EWRI, American Society of Civil Engineers (2000).
- College of Engineering Excellence in Research Award, Univ. of Michigan (1999).
- Lorenz G. Straub Award for a directed Ph.D. thesis in Fluid Mechanics (1999).
- Outstanding Paper Award, 3rd ICHE, Berlin/Cottbus, Germany, (1998).
- Alexander von Humboldt Award, Federal Republic of Germany (1988, 1997).
- College of Engineering Excellence in Teaching Award, Univ. of Michigan (1994).
- Karl Emil Hilgard Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers (1990).
- J.C. Stevens Award, American Society of Civil Engineers (1984).
- Bradford, S. and Katopodes, N.D., “Hydrodynamics of Turbid Underflows. Part II: Aggradation, Avulsion and Channelization,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, October 1999, Vol. 125, No 10, pp. 1016-1028.
- Sanders, B.F. and Katopodes, N.D., “Active Flood Hazard Mitigation. Part I: Bidirectional Wave Control,” Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, September 1999, Vol. 125, No. 10, pp. 1057-1070.
- Bradford, S. and Katopodes, N.D., “The Anti-Dissipative and Non-Monotonic Behavior of Petrov-Galerkin Upwinding,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, June 2000, Vol. 33, No. 4., pp. 583-608.
- Sanders, B.F. and Katopodes, N.D., “Sensitivity Analysis of Shallow Water Flow by Adjoint Method,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, September 2000, Vol. 126, No. 9, pp. 909-919.
- Bradford, S. and Katopodes, N.D., “Finite Volume Model for Non-Level Basin Irrigation,” Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, July 2001, Vol. 127, No. 4, pp. 216-223.