- PhD, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 1994
- MS, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 1986
- BS, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 1984
Research Interests: ^top
My research focuses on environmental biotechnology and water quality with an emphasis on engineered treatment systems. My specific interests focus on the fate of chemical stressors in these systems (e.g., toxins, pharmaceuticals, trace contaminants), the use of technologies to sense and remove these chemicals, antibiotic resistance, and on resource recovery from wastewater. My research has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the Water Environment Research Foundation, The Cooperative Institute for Coastal and Estuarine Environmental Technology, various utilities and water authorities, and NASA.
To watch a video of me discussing the issue of unabsorbed pharmaceuticals in our water, please visit YouTube.
Member: American Society of Civil Engineers
Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (Board of Directors, 2007-2010, President, 2010-2011)
International Water Association (Program Committee for Microbial Ecology in Water Engineering Subcommittee)
Water Environment Federation (Chair, Academic Committee)
- President, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors, 2010-2011.
- Rudolfs Industrial Waste Management Medal for noteworthy accomplishments in industrial waste management research, Water Environment Federation, 2008.
- Virginia Tech Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Teaching Excellence Award, 2006.
- Virginia Tech Women’s Center Advancing Women Award, 2005.
- Virginia Tech College of Engineering Excellence in Research Award, 2005.
- Harrison Prescott Eddy Medal for Outstanding Contribution to Wastewater Principles/Process Research, 2003.
- Parsons Engineering Science/Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors Doctoral Thesis Award for Charles B. Bott (student) and Nancy G. Love (advisor), 2002.
- Outstanding Young Alumni, College of Engineering and Science, Clemson University, 2002.
- Paul L. Busch Award for Innovation in Applied Water Quality Research, 2001.
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award Recipient, 1995.
- R. Gilmore*, A. Terada, B. F. Smets, S. Lackner, J. L. Garland, and N. G. Love. 2013. Autotrophic nitrogen removal in a membrane-aerated biofilm reactor. Environmental Engineering and Science, 30(1). DOI: 10.1089/ees.2012.0222.
- Smith, A. L., L. B. Stadler, N. G. Love, S. Skerlos, and L. Raskin*. 2012. Perspectives on anaerobic membrane bioreactor treatment of domestic wastewater: A critical review. Bioresource Technology, 122(Special Issue, SI):149-159. DOI: 10.1016/j.biortech.2012.04.055.
- Raskin, L., S. Skerlos, N.G. Love, A.L. Smith (2012), Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactors for Sustainable Wastewater Treatment, Water Environment Research Foundation Final Report U4R08, IWA Publishing, London, United Kingdom.
- Pinto, A.J. and N. G. Love*. 2012. Bioreactor function under perturbation scenarios is affected by interactions between bacteria and protozoa. Environmental Science and Technology, 46:7558-7566. DOI: 10.1021/es301220f.
- Keen, O., N. G. Love, and K. G. Linden*. 2012. The role of effluent nitrate in contaminant oxidation during UV disinfection. Water Research, 46(16):5224-5234. DOI:10.1016/j.watres.2012.06.052.
- Grady, C. P. L. Jr., G. T. Daigger, N. G. Love and C. Filipe. 2011. Biological Wastewater Treatment, 3rd Edition, Taylor and Francis Publishers.
- Khunjar, W.O., S.A. Mackintosh, J. Skotnicka-Pitak, S. Baik, D.S. Aga, N.G. Love. In press. Elucidating the relative roles of ammonia oxidizing and heterotrophic bacteria during the biotransformation of 17-ethinylestradiol and trimethoprim. Environmental Science and Technology.
- Ghosh, S., C.M. Cremers, U. Jakob, and N.G. Love. In press. Chlorinated phenols control the expression of the multi-drug resistance efflux pump MexAB-OprM in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by activating NalC. Molecular Microbiology.
- Ghosh, S. and N.G. Love. 2011. Molecular diversity of algae assemblages at wastewater treatment plants. Bioresource Technology, 102: 3619-3622.
- Bronk, D.A., Q. Roberts, E. Canuel, P. Hatcher, R. Mesfioui, K.C. Filippino, M.R. Mulholland, and N.G. Love. 2010. Effluent organic nitrogen (EON): bioavailability, and photochemical and salinity release. Environmental Science and Technology, 44(15):5830-5835.
- Aruguete, D.M., J.S. Guest, W.W. Yu, N.G. Love and M.F. Hochella, Jr. 2010. Interaction of CdSe/CdS core-shell quantum dots and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Environmental Chemistry, 7:28-35.
- Guest, J.S., S.J. Skerlos, J.L. Barnard, M.B. Beck, G.T. Daigger, H. Hilger, S.J. Jackson, K. Karvazy, L. Kelly, L. Macpherson, J. R. Mihelcic, A. Pramanik, L. Raskin, M.C.M. van Loosdrecht, F. Yeh, N.G. Love. 2009. A new planning and design paradigm to achieve sustainable resource recovery from wastewater. Environmental Science and Technology, 43(16):6126-6130.
- Skotnicka-Pitak, J., W.O. Khunjar, N.G. Love, and D.S. Aga. 2009. Characterization of metabolites formed during the biotransformation of 17α-ethinylestradiol by Nitrosomonas europaea in batch and continuous flow bioreactors. Environmental Science and Technology, 43 (10):3549 – 3555.
- Chandran, K. and N.G. Love. 2008. Physiological state, growth mode, and oxidative stress play a role in Cd(II)-mediated inhibition of Nitrosomonas europaea 19718. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 74(8):2447-2453.
- Henriques, I.D.S., R.T. Kelly II, J. L. Dauphinais, and N.G. Love. 2007. Activated sludge inhibition by chemical stressors – a comprehensive study. Water Environment Research 79(9):940-951. (Recipient of Rudolf’s Industrial Waste Management Medal, WEF).
- Henriques, I.D.S., D.S. Aga, P. Mendes, P. and N.G. Love. 2007. Metabolic footprinting: A new approach to identify physiological changes in complex microbial communities upon exposure to toxic chemicals. Environmental Science and Technology 41(11):3945-3951.
- Muller, J. F., A.M. Stevens, J.Craig, and N.G. Love. 2007. Transcriptome analysis reveals multi-drug efflux genes upregulated to protect Pseudomonas aeruginosa from pentachlorophenol stress. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 73(14):4550-4558.
- Henriques, I.D.S., R.D. Holbrook, R.T. Kelly II, and N.G. Love. 2005. The impact of floc size on respiration inhibition by soluble toxicants – a comparative investigation. Water Research, 39(12):2559-2568.
- Bott, C.B. and N.G. Love. 2004. Implicating the glutathione-gated potassium efflux system as a cause of electrophile-induced activated sludge deflocculation. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 70(9):5569-5578.
- Holbrook, R.D., J.T. Novak, T.J. Grizzard, and N.G. Love. 2002. Estrogen receptor agonist fate during wastewater and biosolids treatment processes: a mass balance analysis. Environmental Science and Technology, 36(21):4533-4539.
- Bott, C. B. and N.G. Love. 2002. Investigating a mechanistic cause for activated sludge deflocculation in response to shock loads of toxic electrophilic chemicals. Water Environment Research, 74:306-315. (Recipient of Harrison Prescott Eddy Medal, WEF).
- Bott, C. B. and N.G. Love. 2001. The immunochemical detection of stress protein expression in activated sludge exposed to toxic chemicals. Water Research, 35:91-100.