2036 GG Brown
2350 Hayward, 2036 GG Brown Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-2125
Deployable and Reconfigurable Structures Laboratory
- PhD, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana IL, 2016
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana IL, 2012
- BS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY, 2009
My research interests lie in the field of deployable and reconfigurable structural systems. Folding and adaptable structures based on the principles of origami can have practical applications ranging in scale and discipline from biomedical robotics to deployable architecture.
I am interested in developing analytical tools that can simulate mechanical and multi-physical phenomena of deployable structure, including the analytical codes incorporating folding kinematics along with local and global phenomenological models. My research includes how the geometry affects stiffness and other properties can allow for the optimization and discovery of new deployable structures.
My research also deals with the design and manufacturing of deployable structures using 3D printing and other fabrication techniques. Multi-material additive manufacturing can be used in intermediate scales to create cellular metamaterials with unique and adaptable characteristics (e.g. high stiffness-weight ratios and variable thermal conductivity). I am also exploring large-scale folding systems where thick panels are connected with hinges and are deployed by mechanical devices.
- American Society of Civil Engineering (ASCE)
- Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI) of ASCE
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Society of Engineering Sciences (SES)
- CEE Department Award for Excellence, 2022
- 2022 Young Alumni Achievement Award, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign
- 2020 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- DARPA Young Faculty Award 2018
- National Academy of Sciences 2015 Cozzarelli Prize
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) 2010-2015
- NSF Graduate Research Opportunities Worldwide (GROW) Fellowship 2014
- Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science – Visiting Scholar Fellowship 2014
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Award, University of Illinois 2012 & 2013
- Woodruff, S.R. and Filipov, E.T. (2020). Curved creases redistribute global bending stiffness in corrugations: theory and experimentation. Meccanica. (Accepted)
- Zhu, Y. and Filipov, E.T. (2020) “A Bar and Hinge Model for Simulating Bistability in Origami Structures with Compliant Creases” Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 12,No. 2, 021110.
- Zhu, Y. and Filipov, E.T. (2019) “An Efficient Numerical Approach for Simulating Contact in Origami Assemblages” Proceedings of the Royal Society – A, Vol. 475. 20190366.
- Filipov, E.T., Tachi T., and Paulino G.H. (2019) “Deployable Sandwich Surfaces with High Out-of-Plane Stiffness,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 145, No.2, 04018244
- Filipov, E. T., and Redoutey, M. (2018). Mechanical characteristics of the bistable origami hypar. Extreme Mechanics Letters, 25, 16-26.
- Filipov, E.T., Liu, K., Tachi, T., Schenk, M., and Paulino, G.H. (2017) “Bar and Hinge models for Scalable Analysis of Origami,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 124, No. 1, pp. 26-45
- Filipov, E.T., Tachi T., and Paulino G.H. (2015) “Origami Tubes Assembled Into Stiff, yet Reconfigurable Structures and Metamaterials,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, Vol. 112, No. 40, pp. 12321-12326.
- Filipov, E.T., Paulino G.H., and Tachi T. (2016) “Origami Tubes with Reconfigurable Polygonal Cross-Sections,” Proceedings of the Royal Society – A, Vol. 472, No. 2185, 20150607.
- Filipov, E.T.*, Chun J.*, Paulino G.H., and Song J. (2016) “Polygonal Multiresolution Topology Optimization (PolyMTOP) for Structural Dynamics,” Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization. Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 673–694 673. (* Equal Contribution Authors)
- Filipov, E.T., Tachi, T., and Paulino, G.H. (2014). “Toward Optimization of Stiffness and Flexibility of Rigid, Flat-Foldable Origami Structures,” The 6th International Meeting on Origami in Science, Mathematics and Education (6OSME), August 10-13, 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Steelman, J.S., Filipov, E.T., Fahnestock, L.A., Revell, J.R., LaFave, J.M., Hajjar, J.F., and Foutch, D.A. (2014) “Experimental Behavior of Steel Fixed Bearings and Implications for Seismic Bridge Response,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 8, SPECIAL ISSUE: Recent Advances in Seismic Design, Analysis, and Protection of Highway Bridges, A4014007.
- Filipov, E.T., Revell J.R., Fahnestock L.A., LaFave J.M., Hajjar, J.F., Foutch D.A., and Steelman J.S. (2013) “Seismic Performance of Highway Bridges with Fusing Bearing Components for Quasi-Isolation,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics. Vol. 42, No. 9, pp. 1375-1394.
- Filipov, E.T., Fahnestock L.A., Steelman J.S., Hajjar, J.F., LaFave J.M., and Foutch D.A. (2013) “Evaluation of Quasi-Isolated Seismic Bridge Behavior Using Nonlinear Bearing Models,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 49, No. 14, pp. 168-181.
- Steelman, J.S., Fahnestock L.A., Filipov E.T., LaFave J.M., Hajjar, J.F., and Foutch D.A. (2013) “Shear and Friction Response of Non-Seismic Laminated Elastomeric Bridge Bearings Subject to Seismic Demands,” Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 7, pp. 612-623.